Sunday, June 12th at the Metro Tent at 2:00 PM
Entry Fee: $20
Registration at the The Autograph Zone, June 12th from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Or at the Metropolis Chamber of Commerce June 9th through 12th until 1 pm.
Note: Audience seating is free and is limited an on a first-come basis.
The costume contest returns for the 2016 Superman Celebration!
Contestants can pre-register by contacting the Metropolis Chamber of Commerce June 9-12 or sign-up on the day of contest June 12 from 11 AM – 1 PM. Any pre-registrations must check in on Sunday to get their number. A contestant number is required to compete in the contest.
Entry rules and guidelines:
- Contestants can register in as many categories that fit their costume/character.
- Entry fee is $20 per person.
- The contest is open to all characters: DC, Marvel, or any existing or original character as long as costume is not too risqué for our family-friendly atmosphere.
- Only hand props are allowed on stage.
- Any music brought to be used during their stage time must be operated by contestant or an offstage assistant brought by the contestant. (A sound system will not be provided.)
- Absolutely no real weapons are allowed which includes knives, swords, or guns. No foul language while in costume.
- This costume contest is for ages 15 and up. Youth contest is held on Friday for kids 14 and under.
The Parade of Characters will take place at 1:30 PM and walk down Market Street from the Man of Steel Tent to the Superman Statue and pose for a group picture. The Parade of Characters is not mandatory for contestants. If costume prohibits walking several blocks then contestant may choose not to participate. They are encouraged to join the group at the statue for the group picture.
The contest will start at 2 PM
Prizes awarded to following categories:
- Best Character – This is awarded to an overall good costume with an excellent presence on stage. Costumer should have wide knowledge of the character, mannerisms & special abilities or powers. This is focused more on the character while on stage.
- Best Group or Duo – This is awarded to the best group or duo presented on stage. Costumes, knowledge of the individual personalities and their work as a unit will be taken into consideration.
- Best Custom Character or Original Conception - This is awarded to the best custom character or best Original Character, including gender bends or twists on well-known characters.
- Best Custom Character- All entries must be custom-made/hand sewn or fabricated costumes. Nothing off-the-rack is allowed in this category. This is the only category that will be pre-judged. Pre-judging will take place at the Autograph Zone between 11 AM and 1 PM. Pre-judging is mandatory for this category.
A first place will be awarded in each category and receive $250 cash.
A runner-up will be named in each category and will receive a Superman Celebration Gift bag.